At the Michigan School of Professional Psychology, the use of technology is integrated throughout the academic programs. Computing technology is used for communication, course assignments, research, tests, etc.
To ensure success at MiSPP, incoming students must be competent in the following technology skills. If you need to increase your proficiency, we recommend seeking out education and/or training before the fall semester begins.
Students must have the ability to:
- Navigate websites
- Conduct web searches
- Read, reply, delete, and manage email messages
- Send, receive and open email attachments
- Access, create, and save documents in Microsoft Office formats
- Configure and run applications, including an antivirus application
- Cut, copy and paste between applications
- Save files to a USB drive
- Download and install common plug-ins and configure common browser options
Students must own a computer and have reliable internet access in order to be successful in their program. To assist students in selecting the best computer for their academic needs, required technology specifications are listed below. The specifications listed are the minimums required and apply to Windows and Macintosh systems.
Please note that these requirements are subject to revision as technology changes rapidly. MiSPP recommends exceeding these criteria when possible. Some courses may have additional software or hardware requirements.
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- 2.0 GHz processor (minimum dual core) or higher.
- 2 GB RAM or higher.
- Any edition of Windows 7 or higher/Mac OS X 10.6 or higher
- USB ports
- CD/DVD burner
- USB flash drive
- Capability to play audio
Minimum Software Requirements:
- Web browser compatible with Moodle (Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 8, IE 10, Safari 5, Google Chrome 11)
- Microsoft Office 2007 or a more recent version of the Microsoft Office software suite, such as Microsoft Office 365 which is available as a free, renewable subscription to active, enrolled students at MiSPP
- Antivirus and antispyware application that is updated regularly
- Adobe Acrobat Reader – latest version (free download)
- Adobe Flash – latest version (free download)
- Windows Media Player 12 or newer (free download)
- Apple QuickTime 7 or newer (free download)
- Java – latest version (free download)
- Backup device or service– an external hard drive or a subscription to a cloud based backup solution, like Crashplan, is highly recommended.
Mobile devices (e.g. smartphones, Apple iPad, Kindle, Nook, Galaxy Tab, etc.) do not meet the minimum hardware requirements listed above. They may provide sufficient performance for basic tasks such as web browsing, reading textbooks, or simple word processing, but use of all required software may not be possible. Students will still need regular access to a computer.
Students should have a reliable Internet Service Provider (ISP) with speeds suitable for streaming video and accessing large files.
MiSPP students are assigned a MiSPP email address upon enrollment. It is imperative that students check this email daily as school, class, and instructor communications will be sent to this address. Students are responsible for all communication sent to their MiSPP email address.
If you have any questions or concerns about these requirements, please contact the Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator.