Meet Our Faculty
La-Toya Gaines, PsyD
Office phone: 248.476.1122
Dr. Gaines graduated from both the master’s and doctoral program at MiSPP. Dr. Gaines became a core faculty member in September 2016. Previously, she served as associated faculty, adjunct faculty, and embedded supervisor for practicum students at Common Ground-OACIS. While completing her doctorate degree, Dr. Gaines also served as an adjunct faculty at Oakland Community College in Southfield starting in 2010.
Dr. Gaines completed an internship at the University of Michigan-CAPS where she developed an interest in working with young adults in transition. She is currently practicing at Family Matters Counseling and Psychological Services in Southfield where she specializes in working with adolescents and adults with anxiety and depression, as well as, families dealing with divorce or step-parenting issues (blended families).
- PsyD, Michigan School of Professional Psychology
- MA, Michigan School of Professional Psychology
- BA, University of Michigan- Ann Arbor
- Licensed Psychologist – Michigan
Areas of Expertise/Interests
- Anxiety and depression in adults
- Child and adolescent depression, anxiety, parental divorce/separation, school problems, anger, aggression, parent-child relationship
- Early adulthood transitions (college, career, family of origin)
- Family therapy and blended family issues
- Body image, self-esteem, self confidence in young adult women, adolescent girls
- Gaines, L. (2013). Identifying troubled students. Presentation at Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI.
- What advice would you give a student entering the Michigan School?
Get know your professors and allow them to get to know you. This helps when it’s time to ask for recommendation letters or when professors know of opportunities that fit your interests.
- What do you like most about teaching students at MiSPP?
I like that students are invested in their education and take it seriously. Students are enthusiastic about learning which makes teaching them exciting and rewarding!